The Stage A/B Testing

Implementing and executing multivariate testing to optimise the conversion funnel

the-stage_header_1170pxthe-stage_header_1170px
[unex_ce_button id="content_94af438vj" button_text_color="#ffffff" button_font="regular" button_font_size="15px" button_width="auto" button_alignment="left" button_text_spacing="2px" button_bg_color="#ff9901" button_padding="15px 60px 15px 60px" button_border_width="0px" button_border_color="#ff9901" button_border_radius="0px" button_text_hover_color="#ffffff" button_text_spacing_hover="2px" button_bg_hover_color="#000000" button_border_hover_color="#000000" button_link="https://www.thestage.co.uk" button_link_type="url" button_link_target="_blank" has_container="1" in_column=""]Visit The Stage website[/ce_button]

The Brief

The Stage Media Company re-launched their website in 2015, introducing a registration gate for the first time. After viewing five pages of free content, users were prompted to register for access to the website. I was tasked with increasing the number of online registrations by optimising this experience.

What I did

I introduced an optimisation roadmap using Google Sheets into the company in an attempt to get a lot more insight into our user activity, as well as introducing a culture of testing into the business. This sheet allowed many different stakeholders to put forward an idea for an experiment, complete with a hypothesis and an expected result. It was my job to educate stakeholders about how to add content to the sheet correctly and maintain it to ensure developers understood what needed to be built for the experiments.

I organised the implementation of Google Experiments and HotJar so that we could track user behaviour on the page and serve up two alternative pages to measure user actions. I co-ordinated the developers for each 2-weekly sprint and held meeting with the Heads of Marketing and IT to feedback results.

Results

This process was introduced to The Stage to highlight the benefits of experimentation and demonstrate how it could improve user experience. We managed to go through a number of iterations of the registration page, making tweaks based on the insight from data. Each experiment was tweaked based on the previous results in order to keep the flow of optimisation moving. 

[unex_ce_button id="content_49opro072" button_text_color="#ffffff" button_font="regular" button_font_size="15px" button_width="auto" button_alignment="left" button_text_spacing="2px" button_bg_color="#ff9901" button_padding="15px 60px 15px 60px" button_border_width="0px" button_border_color="#ff9901" button_border_radius="0px" button_text_hover_color="#ffffff" button_text_spacing_hover="2px" button_bg_hover_color="#000000" button_border_hover_color="#000000" button_link="https://www.thestage.co.uk" button_link_type="url" button_link_target="_blank" has_container="1" in_column=""]Visit The Stage website[/ce_button]